2021 Rural Volunteer Fire Department Insurance Program (HB 3667) - The Rural Volunteer Fire Department Insurance Program (HB 3667) is a grant program designed to reimburse eligible volunteer fire departments for the purchase of insurance from private insurance companies. Eligible coverage includes any combination of compensation insurance for firefighters (workers’ compensation, accidental death and dismemberment, group term life, accident and sickness, and/or cancer-related insurance) purchased from Texas insurance companies. The program will reimburse 100% of the actual cost of eligible insurance coverage up to a maximum of $175 per fire department member.
Recognized, non-profit volunteer fire departments operated by its members are eligible. Any part-paid/part-volunteer department is also eligible, provided the number of paid members is 20 or less. Departments may enter into agreements with cities or counties in order to qualify for coverage and/or special premiums.
All eligible departments must participate in a firefighter certification program administered under Section 419.071 of the Texas Government Code (Texas Commission on Fire Protection), or by the State Firemen’s and Fire Marshal’s Association of Texas (SFFMA), or by the National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG).
TO APPLY, PLEASE COMPLETE AND SUBMIT BEFORE JULY 31, 2021:
1) Rural Volunteer Fire Department Application for Grant Assistance (Form TFS-FO-408)
2) Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification (IRS Form W-9)
3) Roster of active fire department members.
4) Copy of a Payroll Classification Schedule Page 1 and 2, or a copy of the current paid insurance policy which provides insurance coverage during the calendar year 2021, or payment receipt for a workers’ compensation, accidental death and dismemberment, group term life, accident and sickness, or cancer-related insurance policy.
• The policy or payment documents must show the policy number, the cost or premium amount and the coverage period.
• All required reimbursement documents must accompany the grant application form.
• Applications, either complete or incomplete, arriving after July 31, 2021 are not eligible for reimbursement.
• Only ONE application per department will be reimbursed for the enrollment period of November 2020 thru July 2021.
All forms can be found at texasfd.com/RuralVFDInsuranceProgram or by contacting the Capacity Building Department.
SUBMIT VIA FAX, EMAIL OR MAIL FAX TO:
Texas A&M Forest Service
200 Technology Way, Suite 1162
College Station, Texas 77845-3424
Every organization operating today has key people that help it remain successful and profitable. Although most organizations insure their property and assets, few think to insure their most precious assets--the men and women whose education, experience, talent, and judgment contributes substantially to the financial success of the organization. Loss of a key person can adversely affect the organization’s operating efficiency, and will cause expenses related to finding his/her replacement.
Typical losses associated with losing a key person include:
Closely held organizations are particularly at risk since there are typically one or two people whose skill and contacts make the organization operate effectively. This is incredibly true for certain high ranking members of fire departments.
How Key Person Insurance Works
The organization purchases a key person life insurance policy on the key employee. The organization is the owner and beneficiary of the policy. There is no one special key person policy. The organization should choose the policy that best fits its needs.
The organization makes non-deductible premium payments and retains all ownership rights. Cash values inside the policy grow tax-free.
If the key person dies, the organization will receive income tax free death proceeds if the two requirements of the Pension Protection Act of 2006 are met:
To learn more about Key Person Insurance or to get a Quote, contact our Employee Benefits Sales Executive Tom Newby at (512) 628-5189 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
VFIS of Texas NEWS
Here you will find helpful information regarding firefighters, ems responders, and updates in insurance policies.